Where Two or Three are Gathered…

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
                                                                                       – Matthew 18:20

When more than 300 Latter-day Saints marched in the Utah Pride Parade it became clear that for many active committed Mormons the time had come to publicly reach out to their LGBTQI/SSA brothers and sisters. But as exciting as that morning was, it was really the next day that the real work of Mormons Building Bridges began. We had committed ourselves to making our wards safe and welcoming for LGBTQI/SSA people–now, we asked ourselves, what would that work look like week to week and month to month in our congregations?

At its best and its worst, an LDS ward is like a small town. Everyone can really know everyone. The sheer number of hours we spend together gives us the opportunity to know each other’s back story. The ethic of service runs deep. There can be the unpleasant baggage that goes along with small town life too: suffocating conformity, judgement, grudges held for years. But I remain a huge fan of this imperfect yet oftentimes very effective way of building a Christian community. I’ve lived in twelve wards in my life. What each experience has in common is that I arrive as a stranger, am embraced by people with whom I only share a geographical boundary and a commitment to the Gospel, and immediately take up the job of working out my salvation with them. This is powerful stuff. I have seen it break down class and racial boundaries, I have seen it soften hearts. I have seen it bring about A Mighty Change in myself. People I have judged and disliked have become my friends, not because they changed but because I did. So can we use the power of our wards to start a conversation of love and empathy about the experience of our gay brothers and sisters?

Think about it, if you are known to your bishop as a faithful home teacher and you ask to be assigned to an inactive gay couple in your ward, might he be receptive? If you and the Sunday School teacher were the only ones who showed up to clean the meetinghouse on Saturday morning, might he in church the next day support you when you point out how hurtful someone’s homophobic remark is? If you wrestle with a sister’s unruly toddler for two hours every Sunday in the nursery, isn’t she likely to listen when you share your experience of being a gay Mormon? If you share with a visiting teaching companion your experience at an LGBTQI/SSA support event, might not she be willing to open up about her son coming out to her? If we are model ward members in traditional ways and at the same time are marching in parades, coming out, bringing our gay brothers and sisters to church, working on LGBTQI/SSA firesides with our Stake President—In all these small, humble ways can we not prove the larger point that acceptance of LGBTQI/SSA people is a logical extension of gospel principles?

Mormons Building Bridges embraces this proposition. At this website and on our Facebook page we strengthen each other by sharing these person-to-person, heart-to-heart experiences that are the building blocks of change. The words to Lead Kindly Light have always given me great comfort. They describe the lonely journey of the pilgrim following Christ’s Light through the encircling gloom. It is His light that we see straight ahead. But there is also strength in looking to our right and to your left, and realizing that we are not alone. Welcome to Mormons Building Bridges: it is a place where you can feel safe as you begin your journey toward LGBTQI/SSA understanding. It is a place where we look for the light within each other.

-Erika Munson

8 comments for “Where Two or Three are Gathered…

1. Earl E. Green
    January 21, 2013 at 9:10 am

In reply put underscore after the word crossfire_1486@hotmail.

How do I join the group Mormons Building Bridges? Please get back soon

2. Lynda Smith
    January 22, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Would it be possible for someone to respond concerning how to contact members of your group? I am interested in finding out more information about your initiatives and how to get involved.

Thanks,
    Lynda Smith

3. Cheryl
    January 29, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I am a mother of a wonderful son – who came out. I have strong feelings about the church’s stance, but since I can’t imagine leaving the church, I was given a ray of hope to see the article on your group. I’m not alone! I would very much like to become involved with your concepts and purpose, just tell me how. I don’t believe that this slice of the population should be sentenced to a life alone due to what has already been acknowledged as genetic. With new understanding should come new perspectives. Sign me up!

4. Sharon
    March 31, 2013 at 3:12 pm

When and where is the 2013 Pride Parade? How do I get involved? I’d like to walk with my sister who is a lesbian.

5. mbb_admin
    April 12, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Hi Sharon,
    Apologies for not getting back to you. This site is still under construction.
    As for the parade, it will take place on Sunday, June 2. We’ll be posting more information over the next few weeks both on the web site and on our Facebook page.
    You may also be interested in upcoming Community Conversations events which will take place at libraries in SLC, Provo, Park City, and Logan. The first event will take place on April 23, 7:00 PM.
    More information will be posted both on FB and this site early next week.
    Thanks for you interest. It’s much appreciated. We’ll look forward to seeing you at the parade!

6. mbb_admin
    April 12, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for your comment! MBB is a diverse community that includes a number of parents and other family members who have realized that there need be no conflict between their bond with their loved one and their membership in the Church.
    Join our Facebook page where conversations, information, and support abound. We will be posting more about this year’s Pride Parades in which we are emphasizing family love and support. It would be great to have your son march with you if he feels comfortable doing so. We’d also love to have him join our group.
    Other events that we are hosting and/or participating in are coming up soon, and information will be posted here as well as on Facebook.
    Welcome!

7. mbb_admin
    April 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Our web site will be growing to include calendars of events and other ways you can participate. One of the best ways to participate online is by looking into joining our Facebook group. It’s a great way to talk to others and keep updated on events that are coming up. We’d love to have you!

8. mbb_admin
    April 12, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Hi Lynda,

The best way to make immediate contact with members of Mormons Building Bridges is to look into joining our Facebook page. We have some good things coming up, including what we are calling Community Conversations which will take place in SLC, Provo, Logan, and Park City. The first one will be held at public libraries on April 23 at 7:00 p.m. More information will be posted here and on Facebook. We will also be marching again in Pride Parades this year.
    We look forward to getting to know you!