MBB Pride mentors will walk you through the entire process, so please feel free to communicate with them as often as needed. You can contact them at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download printable version.
- Pray for guidance about participating in a Pride festival.
- Do an internet search for the dates of the Pride festival nearest your location. (NOTE: many cities have their festival information posted months in advance and typically offer early-bird registration specials.)
- Review the guidelines for marching with the MBB banner in a Pride parade and then fill-out the application to represent the MBB community.
- MBB Pride mentors will review your application and respond as quickly as possible.
- After receiving approval from the MBB Pride mentors, you can join the MBB Pride Organizers Facebook group for all MBB Pride parade coordinators to better communicate.
- Fill out the “PARADE” application on your local Pride festival website.
- Double-check that your Parade application has been approved by your local Pride center. (Some Pride centers may be slow in responding. If they are slow to respond, MBB mentors recommend that you call the Pride center and ask for a clear response.)
- MBB mentors will assist you in creating a Facebook event for your Parade in the MBB Facebook group. You may then create a duplicate Facebook event to invite people who may not be in the MBB Facebook group. MBB mentors will provide you with generic information for the event description. The exact location and timing of staging your group at the parade are usually provided by your Pride center the week prior to the parade and can be added to the Facebook event as they become available.
- If needed, you may solicit funding assistance for Pride registration fees in whatever way you feel is best. MBB encourages you to solicit funds from your own local community first and then consider soliciting funds from the MBB community at-large via the MBB Facebook group. (*see notes below)
- Encourage all participants to read the MBB Mission Statement, the MBB Pride Parades web-page, and watch the MBB Pride Parade orientation video.
- Keep your community engaged and encouraged in your Facebook event page. This may include posting uplifting photos and stories from other MBB Pride events that are posted in the MBB Facebook group. Share the Facebook event many times in the MBB Facebook group and encourage those who have joined the event to share it and invite their friends to participate. You can also share your even in your local Pride festival’s Facebook event page.
- Read all information and guidelines provided by your local Pride center. (These may include such topics as when and where to gather before the parade, whether or not you are permitted to hand out free water or other food or beverages, etc.)
- When your Pride festival time comes, have fun sharing the love!
*NOTE: If you find that you need to solicit funds from the the MBB Facebook group, MBB mentors must approve of your fund-raising request prior to posting in the group.
IMPORTANT: Many Pride festivals will offer substantial discounts to nonprofit organizations. MBB does not have nonprofit status, however many festivals have been willing to waive that requirement and have agreed to charge MBB the reduced fee because MBB is not an incorporated entity, does not sell goods or services, and because many festival organizers are very pleased to have the Mormons participate. So the key is to ask if fees can be waived or reduced.